Wednesday, December 26, 2012

First Christmas in California

This year was the first time I was away from my parents and siblings in Texas, as well as the first time I was in California sharing the holiday with my brand new husband! We tried to bring as much of our family traditions from Texas to our day as possible, so we used recipes from both of our parents to put our holiday meal together. We're still looking forward to having our "normal" Christmas next month when the flight schedules lighten up, though! We started the morning off by trading gift. I cried (just like on my birthday) when I opened my new Amy Winehouse book and concert dvd. The last time I got a book about her, I finished it in a couple days and was left wanting more, so I was really excited for that. Plus I've spent so many hours watching short clips of her singing live on youtube, so the concert dvd is heaven for me. We listened to Christmas jingles on the record player while we cooked together and relaxed all day. Mister started his mom's yummy pot roast recipe in the crockpot the night before, so the house smelled amazing. He also added chopped potatoes, carrots, onion and tomato sauce to it because we had some already on hand. I was in charge of the mashed potatoes and my most favorite holiday side dish EVER, broccoli rice casserole. That dish alone for me made the whole day a little more like home. We threw in our own side choice of corn on the cob- buttered, seasoned, and wrapped in foil on the grill. The meal came out delicious and the day was pretty special! 

How was your Christmas? Did you get all the you wanted or any special surprises? Do you have a family tradition or recipe? Share in the comments below!
Drey $ Nicole

1 comment: